Thursday, October 29, 2009

Database Comp - Dialog: Building Block

I did an ERIC search for my adventure in Dialog. I am looking for information on all aspects of video games in libraries.

My first step was a simple search for 'video games', 'gamers' and 'tournaments'. I got 406 results for video games, 27 for gamers and 316 for tournaments. I then went on as a sort of experiment to check my methods, to search for video games OR gamers OR tournaments, which gave me 725 results. More than the separate searches for each term gave.

I tried to get more specific search terms, since 735 results is a bit too many to search through. There were no results for 'video games in libraries' or 'educational video games'. I then combined the search for libraries and the search for video games or gamers, which resulted in a very manageable 40 results.

This was supposed to be using the building block strategy, but I didn't take it as far as I should have in that focus. I will attempt to return and give it another try and hopefully replace this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment