Monday, October 12, 2009

Searching Databases: Part 2

And here is the blog post on my second round of searching the databases with better searching skills. We begin with LibraryLit.

search term with extra knowledge: (video and game) and librar*
limit: last 12 months
99 results
But none at 100%, unfortunately. Did find a really interesting article that is pretty much exactly what I'm searching for, so obviously my search methods are still not quite perfect.

Gritten, T. Providing Community Outreach through the Nintendo Wii. Indiana Libraries v. 27 no. 2 (2008) p. 10-15


ERIC
search term with extra knowledge: (video and game) and librar*
79 results

Found this little gem, makes me wish I could design video games like so many of my friends do. :(

Using Video Games to Teach Game Design: A Gaming Collection for LibrariesFull Text Available . By: Mastel, Kristen; Huston, Dave. Computers in Libraries, v29 n3 p41-44 Mar 2009. (EJ831241)
Database: ERIC


WorldCat
Same search terms. For some reason, I got some really strange results from WorldCat using the same terms as the other databases. Things like the Matilda movie and the Mahabharata. Both of which are lovely, but nothing to do with what I was searching for.

Did find some things relevant. Limited the search to books, articles and serials and most of the strange stuff disappeared. Probably the 'video' term.

Book Second life : the official guide /
Author: Rymaszewski, Michael. Publication: [San Francisco, Calif. : Sybex] ; Chichester ; Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley [distributor], 2007
Document: English : Book

1 comment:

  1. I tried your first search in Library Lit and couldn't get it to retrieve 99 items - I got only 13! But then I checked out the basic search, and did nearly the same search:

    ((video and game*) and librar*) and (2008 or 2009)
    and got 880 hits by clicking on 'also search in the full text if available' (and 38 items after I unclicked that last). I had the thought that maybe I should truncate game* further so made it gam*, with no difference in results, which surprised me - you'd think there would be reference to video gaming, wouldn't you? Finally, I re-clicked the 'full text' search in basic search mode for the following search statement:

    ((video and gam*) and librar*) and (2008 or 2009) and got 1001 hits. I'd be starting there, and looking at subject headings for pertinent records, and running THOSE against the large set to see what happened...

    This search may better be done (at least in this resource) using pearl growing - I did notice some nice subject headings over on the left! When searching 'for real' don't hesitate to combine building block with pearl with other approaches, as everything's fair game, especially in a discipline that does not, itself, tend to use standardized terminology.

    ReplyDelete